Saturday, July 10, 2010

Astorga

We were originally going to go just 12 kilometers today, but ended up arriving at that town by 9am so we pressed on into the grueling afternoon heat and finally arrived in Astorga at 3:00 pm. We got up at 5:30 am after a hot night of sleeping because Princess Pilgrim next to us didn´t like the window being open and kept closing it (no AC... have I mentioned it´s hot here?). We had a pretty flat walk today with some smaller hills towards the end, but it just seemed to keep dragging on. In all we walked just under 27 kilometers which I´ve told Dan is officially 7 km over my preferred comfort threshold. He agrees. Thank goodness for that because otherwise we´d be stuck in the middle of Spain with some serious marital issues.

In the next two days we´ll be coming up on one of the parts of the trip that we´ve been most looking forward to... the Iron Cross. There is a cross at the top of a mountain and there´s a cool little tradition that the pilgrims have of putting pebbles at the base of the crosses along the way to represent them relieving themselves of the burdens that are weighing them down. Dan and I have been carrying with us some small rocks from our yard that we picked up the day before I left. When we get up there we´re going to get to add them to the stack, to add a little bit of our home to the pile. It sounds so beautiful to me to leave a literal piece of home here.

I was interviewed by a German today who is writing his doctoral thesis about the camino and the pilgrims. He asked me why I came and the first thing I said was "I don´t really know why I´m here" which I guess is true. I´m religious, but not that religious. I like to hike, but not nearly enough. I like Spain, but do I really need to visit every. single. little. town along the way?

I was thinking about that question today while we were walking in silence after having sung through the entirety of the latest Ben Folds album, and I think I´m here to give thanks.

I have a great life, one that most days I don´t feel I deserve, and it really does make me feel the presence of God in my life and appreciate all the blessings that I´ve been given. Like... cold water and conditioner. ;)

Dan´s Random Note: While passing through an old town today, we saw what could only be described as a medieval archery range. We thought we were ridiculous for thinking this, but as we walked into the main town we did indeed see banners for a Ren Fair. How random, but I love the idea of a bunch of Spainish people playing knight.

9 comments:

  1. Any knights errant attacking windmills? That would be quixotic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. third times a charm! I type great comments to you and then lose it during some demand that I log on etc etc. we are happy to hear you are doing well and seeing the beauty of Spain, take many pictures. We didnt have a signal this afternoon, thus missed your call. grrrrr We dropped by to see Bear this week and gave him some hugs from you. We miss you too!! Have fun, don't make it too much work and not enough fun We love you and miss you! Gene and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, so sorry you are not sleeping well, and princess was not wanting the air to flow with an open window. She must be enemic or something to be able to stand the window closed and the heat!!

    You both are really doing well with the walking and should be so proud of your progress. We are very impressed with your determinaion and perserverance. I really keep reflecting back to Spanish Grandpa and his comment to you guys and how much that stands out. Eventhough you comment that you are not very religous, you seem to be defining it more than you may think with what you are reflecting upon and portraying through your journey. You both are very inspiring in your conviction with this trip.

    We are looking forward to seeing the pictures. The cross and leaving your burdens/rocks from home is something I hope that you take several of.

    Looking forward to the next time, stay safe and as cool as you can. We love you both and pray that the next leg of this journey is easier physically for you. Enjoy...what is that great saying, "Live,Laugh,Love"!! You are!!!

    HUGE HUGS~~
    Popito, Timotaeo, & ME (nothing Spanish sounding about Christal ;-} )

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s so good to hear from you guys and to follow your Camino. Mom & I are happy that things are going well again after a little downtime. A little bit of a rough start will be followed by a lot smooth endings.

    I Googled the cathedral in Burgos. What an unbelievable place! Seeing it must have been awe inspiring. Especially when you think people have been passing by it for 800 years.

    You were so right in saying “it’s our Camino and not anyone else’s” and making the trek the one you want it to be.

    Enjoy, be safe and carry the love from your Mother & me everywhere you go.

    Mom and Dad B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and by the way. We stopped by and saw Bear yesterday. He said he misses you guys, but to tell you that Laura is doing a good job. He was so excited to see us that in all his jumping around he darn near poked a hole in my feet with his toenails. Never wear sandals near an excited and large dog.

    Meanwhile Mom scratched his neck and calmed him down. He enjoyed the neck scratch but still told us that Julie does it better.

    Love you lots...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if you ever got the chance to find your TV for the soccer today. I cannot even imagine how crazy it must be there and hope that you are enjoying some of the craziness. Love you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie & Dan,
    I have followed with great enthusiam your journey through Spain and have tried to post comments but was unsuccessful until yesterday when my daughter Liz helped me. Finally, success. It has been great fun reading about the places you were in because I have been to many of them. Yesterday must have been crazy in Spain. After the win, they showed the Plaza de Colón in Madrid. Wow is all I can say. You should now be walking through the Picos de Europa and that should be a great experience. Keep smiling, you are nearing the end.

    ReplyDelete