Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Quick Update Before the Longer One

I just wanted to jot this down while I was still riding on a victorious high and had access to free Internet... it will be followed by a longer journal entry tonight after Dan and I hunt for some food.

I had been having a rough day. MY sleeping bag had apparently become infested with some type of biting insect and I am covered... COVERED... in bug bites (no, Dan doesn´t have a single one) so I´m itching because my boots are rubbing them and I accidently touch myself somewhere and then start itching and it just made me pretty crabby.

And then... 21 km later we arrive at Triacastela, at like 12:30. We made phenomenal time and I don´t feel like I´m going to keel over in the street for once and Dan offers to run to an ATM while I recline so we can have more than 8 euros to live off of. He returns... and the machine ate my card. I go down with him to call the company and see what they can do, apparently they are useless and I have no way of getting my card back. But, I could see the card so I had Dan run back in and grab his pocketknife (good Boy Scout!). He did and we jimmied with it, and finally we busted my card out.

Gracias a Dios.

Now I am not going to be left poor in a foreign country. Woot!

Ok... but seriously we´ve had a great couple of days. More to come on that later.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Guys!

    I'm glad you got the debit card back from the machine, nothing worse than losing the contact with your money!! We are happy to read about your travels and the people you meet. Every day I check to see if there's any updates posted to your blog, then Gene and I read them together while consulting the map of Spain to see where you are and have been.
    The bugs in the sleeping bag would freak me out and you know I'd be headed back to the 4 star hotel! You are much more adventuresome than I am or maybe I'm just a wee bit spoiled. Lucky me.
    We'll log on tonight and see what the weekend has brought to you as you next adventure.

    Love you more than a more more,

    Geno and Mamacita

    PS Yes I am lazy and don't log in to myaccount, but you know who we are even if it says A nony Mus left the message. Enjoy yourselves, what a great journeys you take and wonderful memories you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Julie & Dan!

    We are enjoying reliving our Camino experience as we read your updates. If you haven't solved your bug problem, try rubbing your sleep sack with rubbing alcohol and then airing it out in the sun. That should help. If not, let them know in the farmacias and they'll have stuff for that. Keep up the great work. It will go by quickly and you'll have stories for years. Buen Camino, Paul & Vicki www.paulandvickionline.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some journeys just give you insight into so many corners of your heart. The walk may be tough but what would you have missed flying over the towns from airport to airport? The people you meet, moments you share only add to the wonderful people you are becoming. Only through knowledge shared and given do we leave part of ourselves on any moment in life. I envy the sights, sounds and serenity you are having, but grateful you are sharing it together. Much love, more than a more more,
    Mom and Gene (who's at the shooting range)lol ok so he isn't having too much serenity today!!

    ReplyDelete